St. Patrick’s Catholic Church Drainage & Accessibility Improvements – York, PA
Education & Institution
One of the oldest churches in York, PA, St. Patrick’s Catholic Church and rectory were constructed in 1895.
The present Holy Trinity Catholic School at St. Patrick’s was built prior to that in 1886, with an addition built next door in 1964. A hall was built on the parish grounds in 1980 to accommodate school and other parish-wide functions. In 1995, in celebration of its 100th anniversary, the church underwent an extensive renovation.
Murphy & Dittenhafer Architects were hired 20 years later to design enhancements to the church, school, and rectory. As a part of the team, FCE was tasked with performing site civil engineering services, as well as construction observation.
This included creating a stormwater management and drainage plan to solve existing drainage and icing problems, which were affecting safety, accessibility and deterioration of existing concrete and macadam walkways.
Work also included improvements to courtyard access and providing pedestrian and service accessibility to the current church social hall located below street grade.
FCE created a landscaping plan, as well as performed construction observation and administration to ensure proper conformance with the approved design and project specifications.
- Stormwater management
- Landscape architecture
- Construction observation/ administration