Frequently Asked Questions

What are the zoning restrictions for developing my property?
Zoning restrictions vary from municipality to municipality and zoning district to zoning district. FCE will evaluate your specific project to determine any development restrictions and identify any needed relief from the zoning ordinance and assist you in the zoning approval process. We can help you determine this and the best use for your property.
Do I need a stormwater plan to install a shed or garage at my house?
Each municipality has a stormwater management ordinance that mandates how the stormwater runoff from a building or hard surface must be managed. The purpose of the systems installed is to make it so there is no more stormwater runoff from your property than there was before the building was built.
Can I get driveway access to my property onto a state highway?

Yes. A PennDOT Highway Occupancy Permit would be required. Based on your specific project FCE can determine the classification of driveway permit needed based on the needs of your project. With our experience and knowledge of the PennDOT permitting process, we will engineer the driveway per PennDOT specifications and make the necessary application submissions to the department for approvals.

What is the standard time frame for plan approvals?
Standard time frame for municipal approvals of a land development plan from application to submission is 6-8 months dependent on the complexity of the project. FCE can provide you with the expertise to navigate the municipal/state/federal approval processes needed for a successful project.
How does a stormwater basin work?
Stormwater basins can be built a lot of different ways including underground. Most basins function in 1 of 2 ways or sometimes a combination of the 2. Basins generally either temporarily hold runoff until it can slowly seep into the ground or temporarily hold runoff while it is slowly released through a pipe. Both types are meant to slow down the stormwater runoff so that streams do not overflow or erode the stream banks.
Where does FCE offer land survey services?

Our land survey services are completed in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia.

Which land surveying certifications & licenses does FCE hold?

FCE holds several land surveying licenses, certifications, and memberships: Member PA Society of Land Surveyors (PSLS), Professional Land Surveyor (PLS), Land Surveyor-in-Training (LSIT), and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) certified drone operator.

What determines the cost of a property survey - shouldn’t they all be the same price?

Many variables determine the cost of a land survey. The size of the property is a factor, and whether or not there are ANY of the corners marked at this point. The age of the development or area is another factor. Are there recorded plans of this property at the courthouse? Do you have the deed? Are there set backs or easements to consider? These are just a few of the variables that will be considered when pricing out the cost of providing surveying services.

Have a Question for Us?

Call 717.845.3227 or complete the form below. We’ll get back to you within 1 business day.